The WASO theme this week is chocolate recipes, and here is one of my favourites. This is my default birthday cake recipe and is always a winner. It’s easy, uncomplicated and looks fun. It also disappears very quickly. Here goes…
175g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa powder
200ml double cream
100g milk chocolate
100g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease the cake tins. (I like to use cake release spray. This saves a lot of faffing about with lining them.)
- Cream the margarine and sugar, then gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the creamed mixture.
- Divide the mixture between two cake tins* and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Don’t disturb them until the time is up.
- While the cakes are cooling, melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and allow to cool for five minutes, then stir in the cream. Leave the mixture to thicken for a few minutes.
- When the cakes are completely cool, use a quarter of the topping for filling, then put the rest on the top and sides of assembled cake (it’s not supposed to look too tidy!). Decorate it with the M&Ms. Ta da!
*For this big cake, I doubled the quantities and used the same tin twice.